Thursday, November 6, 2008

name

I wanted to post a little about my persona's name and such

For the last 10 years I have been known as Anora Marchaunt but since I have decided to focus on my research on Venetian Courtesans I wanted to also change my name.

I choose Magdalena to tie to Mary Magdalene who is the patron saint of fallen women since my persona will be a courtesan

Lucia because it is the feminine derivative of Latin lux ‘light’and Saint Lucia was a 4th-century martyr from Syracuse. She was said to have had her eyes gouged out, and thus is the patron saint of the blind. She was widely revered in the Middle Ages, and her name has been used throughout Christian Europe (in various spellings).

Ramberti I chose because of his ties to Veronica Franco and (I admit this is silly) But he was my favorite character in dangerous beauty

Magdalena- pronounced mag-DUH-lee-nah.

Lucia- pronounced loo-CHEE-uh

Ramberti- pronounced ram-BEAR-tea

Documentation-
Magdalena & Lucia
from SCA.org (http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/italian.html) - both are feminine names from Florence dated to the 14th and 15th C.
"Fourteenth Century Venetian Personal Names" by Arval Benicoeur (Josh Mittleman) and Talan Gwynek (Brian M. Scott), Academy of St. Gabriel Medieval Names Archive (
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/venice14/venice14given.html#table)

Ramberti: "Italian Names from Imola, 1312" by Aryanhwy merch Catmael (Sara L. Uckelman), Academy of St. Gabriel Medieval Names Archive (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/italian/imolafemalph.html)
The surname Ramberti is found in The Honest Courtesan, Margaret F Rosenthal, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1992: Iudovico Ramberti's will was written in 1570 (p. 79, also mentioned on p.296, n.54) Also mentioned is Pietro Ramberti in 1540 (p.79).

No comments: